[AT] 6 to 12 volt starter conversion--splitting tricycles

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 12 14:41:39 PST 2016

We split Dads DC Case a few years back to turn the starter gear around.
I made 2 legs that bolted to each side. At the bottom of each leg I
welded a fairly big nut--1/2, 5/8,3/4--that way I could screw a bolt in
so that the head was next to the floor. This way I could accurately
adjust the height of the engine. I may have also made a tie bar to go
from one leg to the other for rigidity. I don't remember if I spread it
out wide or made it just the width of the engine block--wider is
obviously better! Used either a hoist or floor jack to roll the rear
end. I was at a Deere dealer years ago and they had a similar setup
except it had adjustable height wheels on the legs--they were splitting
one of our 4020's.

John Hall