[AT] 6 to 12 volt starter conversion

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Dec 12 08:03:09 PST 2016

On 12/12/2016 9:38 AM, Cecil Bearden wrote:
> Ralph:
>
> It made it to Oklahoma...    I have changed over many old 6 volt systems
> since the one wire alternators are available.  Even used the old 6 volt
> coils.  So far they have not died.  I will admit the starter hits pretty
> hard, but If it does, I just bump it until I can tell it is engaged then
> hold the switch down.   It works soemwhat.  Never had to replace a ring
> gear.   I have an old 75 model 1600 Loadstar w/ a 345 or 304 that grinds
> at least 3 times before cranking.  It is 12volts from the factory.    If
> I can get a round tuit, I will rebuild the starter and drive.  Right
> now, I cannot get it to fire off and have purchased a Pertronix ignition
> kit to eliminate the Pain in the butt points in the Prestolite
> distributor...
>
> Cecil in OKla
Thanks for the reply Cecil. I used the one wire Delco on the Cockshutt
50 conversion too.
Had to put in a resistor for the original coil I think.
Your comment on IH Loadstar points makes me wonder what my 71 Loadstar
has for a
distributor. It has never given me trouble in 32 years.j
There is an old saying, "points will get you home" but when an
electronic ignition part
fails you are stalled on the road waiting for a tow.
Got to run. -15F here and cattle waiting for a drink probably.

Ralph in Sask.