[AT] 6 to 12 volt starter conversion

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Dec 11 18:27:31 PST 2016

Dad and I are not fans of converting 6 volt machines, just purists I
suppose. That said, the vast majority of old tractors around here have
been converted over. Most of the time folks are just changing out the
battery and charging system and letting everything else go. Some go
ahead and upgrade the lights, and install a key switch. I can't recall
anyone changing out a starter just because they wanted to switch over to
12 volt. I guess what I'm saying is throwing 12 volts at a 6 volt
starter doesn't really hurt anything for occasional use tractors from
what I have seen.

Was your Bendix shot? Wonder if that is why things are working better
now. I'd start asking around for someone who will treat that fine
looking M with the TLC it deserves when it comes time to change the
gear. I know you can drop the pump and the clutch without splitting, but
I imagine you would have to split the tractor to pull the flywheel.

John Hall