[AT] 6 to 12 volt starter conversion

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sun Dec 11 18:04:02 PST 2016

Dean Vinson wrote:
> Any experiences converting starters to 12 volt, or not, when converting the
> rest of the tractor?
>
> Some prior owner had converted my Super M to 12 volts, and it would start
> like a champ--spin the engine like crazy and fire right up.  But over the
> past couple of years the starter has gradually gotten more and more likely
> to clash and grind on the ring gear when I'd go to start the tractor, and
> the hard, violent sound of the starter pinion hitting and grinding would
> just make me cringe.   When that happened I'd get off and rock the tractor
> or turn the fan blade to get the ring gear to move to a different spot, and
> then it'd be fine.
>
> A month or so ago it got to the point where I couldn't start it all, no
> amount of moving the ring gear would let the starter engage.   Took the
> starter off and looked at the ring gear, and it was worn but I guess not all
> that terribly (photo attached).   There was a similar worn spot 180 degrees
> around.   I cleaned them up a little with a rotary grinding bit but was
> wondering whether I'd need to have the whole thing rotated or replaced
> (beyond my skill/equipment/time level).
>
> In the meantime I took the starter to a local shop to have the pinion
> replaced, and also asked if they could convert it for 12 volt operation to
> soften the impact on the ring gear somewhat.   They could and did.   I put
> it back on the tractor and I'm wishing I'd had that done earlier--fires
> right up again every time, haven't had a single issue with grinding, and it
> sounds good.   But I'm still getting used to how slow it turns over...not
> really slow at all, just not blazing fast like it used to do.
>
> Dean Vinson
> Saint Paris, Ohio

I'll tell you one of the tricks I have done when converting a tractor to
12 volts. Connect a Delco starter drive spring between the battery cable
and the starter to act as a resistor to drop the voltage. Don't remember
where I learned it but it drops the 12 volts down to around 8 volts.
Starter still spins good but doesn't hit as hard.

--
Steve W.