[AT] cutting hay

Mogrits mogrits at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 14:47:45 PDT 2016

He felt fortunate to have it, and he was probably proud too. But man oh
man, some of the things I heard him say to that tractor while he was
changing implements or setting up a plow!

The field he is in, in the photo was a smallish vegetable garden that he
had for the household, maybe 1.5 acres. The green strip to the right was a
drainage swale and the field to the right of that was a much, much larger
field that he leased in his later years to varying neighboring farmers who
grew corn or soybeans. Prior to that it had all been in cotton. He got
tired of the lease holders so he stopped renewing and for the most part
planted that large field in pines. That was in my memory so it wasn't all
that long ago. I think he cut the pines and replanted once before he passed
and I just had the timber harvested again.

I'd love to see that land cleared and under cultivation again but I doubt
I'll pull that off. The pines don't need feed or fertilizer, diesel or oil,
nor do they make much noise! Mostly what I'd like is to have, is that dove
field back from when it was in corn. Maybe when it's next cut?

Warren

PS Good to hear from you Herb I hope you're doing well. Hoping for some
more work your way this year but can never be sure. If I'm around I'll sure
come see you. I very much enjoyed my trip to your slice of Heaven.