[AT] off topic , really confused

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Aug 14 05:47:47 PDT 2016

  Not really wanting to get into this discussion but  I will add to
something Spencer said earlier. As my son is getting old enough to do
real work, I am having to find (and it ain't easy) the patience to teach
him. Yesterday we were baling hay, I had him packing on the wagon. He
knows the pattern well from riding the wagon with me. Now he has to
learn the technique. Anyone who has ever packed bales knows that you
don't sit a bale down and then scoot it into place--it doesn't work that
way, tries to spring back and loosens the pack. I never realized until
recently how long I have known that, or how how many bales I had to
handle until I learned that. It's slowly sinking in to his head. Also
techniques of putting a bale on the next layer before finishing the
current one just because its physically easier to clear a bale that is
not there.

  I don't use any of the straw or hay we bale, I sell in small
quantities to the end user. Truth be told, most folks cannot pack bales
properly--they were never taught.  What is more shocking to me is how
many teenagers can't quite get the concept of handling bales. Some of
them ain't figured out  you don't grab it by you fingertips and hold it
away from your body and tote it 100 ft out of the barn to the trailer.
Then again I suppose that is a much better workout!

To sum up, I find my time to get work done is always in short supply.
But if I don't choose the less efficient path of teaching my son instead
of doing everything myself, I'm running my farming operation (as small
as it is) wide open headed off a cliff.

John Hall