[AT] storing outside

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon Aug 22 07:22:22 PDT 2016

Al,  I have a frame made from short pieces of stainless steel pipe (ss not
necessary that's just what I have)
formed in to T's, Y's and crosses.  You take it and slide ten foot lengths
of rigid metal electrical conduit over
the ends of the T's Y's and crosses and it forms a tent frame.  It's fairly
easy to put a cheap (or expensive) plastic
tarp on it attached with rope or elastic cording.  It's not perfect but it
works.  Mine will form a 20 x 30 shed with a
10' eave using 22 pieces of conduit which cost about 8 bucks each the last
time I priced some.  Of course by cutting
the conduit you can customize it to your liking.    Set it up behind one of
your other buildings or along a wood line to
keep the wind off of it, tie it down with screw anchors and it is a lot
better than nothing.  Mine only blew down once
and that was in an 80 mph wind.  Actually it blew up, standing up on one end
against a tree like a giant sail. I cut the
tarp to take the wind pressure off of it.  it bent a few pieces of conduit
but no major damage.

Here's how you make it,  select pipe that fits snugly into the conduit.  I
think my conduit is 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 but I'd have to check.
Take the pipe and, bend, cut and weld it into a little building that will
sit on top of your welding table.  When you have it like you
want it just saw it up so that the ends of the T's, Y's and crosses are
about 4 to 6" long.   Your little building frame will be a about
4 feet long, 2 feet wide and 6" or so high.  You can put whatever roof slope
you want into it by the bend you put in pieces that form
the ridge line.

Since you want it specifically for your picker you could build it to a
custom size just for it and save on the conduit.  Just be sure to
check on the size tarps available to you and select a tarp slightly smaller
than the "roof" dimensions so you can pull it taught.
I suspect you know a fellow that works in a machine shop that can help you
with the job!  grins.

Charlie