[AT] Ransom emails

cecil bearden crbearden at copper.net
Fri Aug 19 20:49:40 PDT 2016

> Guys,After all the other thigs that have happened this week, I got a
> ransom email virus called zapota I believe.   Be careful when you open
> things with attachments.   This started with an email stating that an
> invoice was attached.  I opoened it to find out what or who had sent
> me an invoice.   The attachment was a .docm word file.  I could nt
> figure out why it would not open, so when I did get it open, it
> reconfigured my Word program for another user.   First thing aI knew,
> all my files had a .Zapota on the end instead of the usual .pdf or
> .jpg.   I called my computer person, and he sorta said I was S.O.L.
> he suggested that ia turn off the computer immediately since I had not
> got a ransom note yet, and take it to a local video store who also
> works on coumpters.   They were not very reassuring that i could getr
> my files back either.   I have drawigs dating back 7 years on my
> external hard drive.  I only hope it did nto infect that.
I have tried various backup programs but they never worked and only
backed up things i did not need.  Biggest problem is I have 4
engineering projects going right now, and now am working off of a
netbook and trying to get drawing files converted from pdf to dwg,
nearly impossible.

Anyways, I just want you guys to know what to look out for.   These
emails try to tell you it is an invoice or something you really need to
look at.

Cecil in OKla