[AT] DDT

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Fri Aug 5 09:19:20 PDT 2016

Yep,  when I was in high school, one summer the county didn't mow the
football field at all
until the day before practice started.  On the first day of practice the
field was pilled high
with grass/hay in clumps from the bush hog they used to mow it, still about
6" high.  The
mosquitoes were terrible.  One of my friends went home and told his dad
about it.  They were
farmers and a crop duster operated out of a small strip near their farm.
The next day my
friend came to school and said "daddy's going to take care of the mosquitoes
this afternoon".
He told all of us on the team and the coach but not the principle.  About
the time the school
busses got gone the principle heard an airplane buzzing the school and came
out to investigate.
What he found was the whole football team and the coach watching the crop
duster with Jim's dad
riding shotgun, spraying DDT (I think but maybe it was something else) on
the field.  Over the bleachers
and under the power lines, over the goal post but under the other power
line.  The principal spun on his
heels and headed back inside.  He apparently decided he was better off not
to know!  As soon as the
crop duster made his final pass and waved his wings at us, we started
practice with the insecticide still
wet on the grass BUT the mosquitoes were gone!

Charlie