[AT] Garden question

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Wed Aug 3 15:19:48 PDT 2016

  We've discussed weed wipers here before, I think. They have been
around since at least the 80's. You could probably make your own from
PVC pipe. There are very large units for use with tractors. The idea is
the weed is taller than the crop so you set the height just above the
crop and drive down the row. Chemical usage is minimal as you only apply
it to the tall weeds as opposed to blanket spraying the entire field.
Another benefit is you can use something like glyphosphate when a
selective herbicide for a specific crop does not exist. A handheld unit
like you are looking at may allow you to get in between the plants. As
long as you don't drip chemical on the crop it should work on the weeds
you can get to. Have you ever considered using wheat straw for mulch and
weed control?

John Hall