[AT] Battery Charger recommendations

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Apr 26 18:51:25 PDT 2016

Back to the original subject.  I happened to stop in O'Reilley's Auto Parts
Yesterday and they had the Schumacher SE 4020 200 Amp Battery charger engine
starter unit on sale at $119.00 . That is $60 lower cost than other prices
I've seen elsewhere for that unit. Even at that price I'm still leaning
toward the Sears Die Hard Gold  which is $179 because I just have heard too
much negative stuff about Schumacher chargers.  I have been able to find out
that the Sears Manual stated to not run the starter over 5 seconds when on
the 250 Amp setting, The wait 2 or 3 minutes before hitting the starter
again.  I haven't found out what the duty cycle is on the others yet. One
distinct advantage that the Sears DieHard Gold has is it has an automatic
thermal overload shutoff if you try to use the 250 Amps too long.    Then it
resets automatically when it returns to acceptable temperature. I suspect
that is one of the reasons they have a 3 year warranty and others are 2
years.  Napa is selling some kind of private label charger that looks a bit
like an older Schumacher and doesn't have very good specs and is priced way
up there in the mid $300's. I haven't figured out what merit's that price
yet. However, in the past I have found Napa's pricing to be higher than
others. I suspect that is so they can discount to repair shops.

I got totally diverted for awhile by a failure of our full house water
filtering system.  Changed filters and the thing started leaking like
sieve.  Found the O-Ring Seal was missing and nowhere to be found.   Have no
idea where it went.  Then made a trip to Loews, Sears, the brand of water
filter, Home Depot, Aqua Source and finally the only good hardware store
(McLendon's) we have left in a 50 mile radius, had exactly what I needed.
120 miles of chasing later I now have a non-leaking water filtering system
in the house.  I hate it when the original seller of the system, Sears,
didn't even have repair parts for it.  In fact the in-store Sears people
didn't even know what it was, believe it or not. However, the filter was
probably older than they were.  It was brand new in 1991.  It's only 25
years old. :-)  I would have replaced it if I could have found one that fit
in the same piping setup.  I wasn't about to take on plumbing the whole
thing over. But we now have water back in the house and the boss is happy
again.  Didn't realize how annoying the lack of running water is.  We are
spoiled.

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA 98290

It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.