[AT] Battery Charger recommendations

Mike M meulenms at gmx.com
Tue Apr 26 14:20:11 PDT 2016

My daughter works at a hardware store, and told me they were already
phasing out  CFL's, which in my opinion were in my opinion a bad short
term solution to a long term problem. Think of all the mercury that
ended up in landfills or was mishandled by people who were unaware of
how to handle a broken CFL. Steve, how can you tell a good LED from an
el cheapo other than price. I'll probably wait another year and then
make the switch. The only one's I may change sooner are the mercury
vapor lights that run from dawn to dusk on the barn. Might be some
savings there.

Regards,
Mike M

On 4/26/2016 4:20 PM, Steve W. wrote:
> Mike M wrote:
>> You can still buy high wattage incandescent bulbs, I just ordered some
>> 300 watt bulbs for our barn. The CFL's take too long to warm up and are
>> dangerous in my opinion, I have witnessed them burning and burning brown
>> by the base. Not good in a barn with dry wood and hay. I'll eventually
>> make the transition to LED's but right now I can't find one that is
>> affordable that will throw the lumens the 300 watt one will. I have
>> noticed that cost of them is dropping like a stone. They should have
>> known only early adopters would pay $40 a bulb.
>>
>> Mike M
> I switched everything over to LED. House, shop, exterior lighting. This
> was the middle of last year. I will NEVER go back to incandescents or
> fluorescent lamps unless there is no other option for a particular item.
> LEDs LOVE the cold, they actually get brighter the more heat you can
> pull from the diode junctions.
>
> Running the numbers on them 75% of them are already paid for in savings,
> the others are not on long enough to get a rapid ROI.
>
> Only complaints are
>
> 1- some of the cheap ones have power supplies with piss poor shielding
> so they toss out a LOT of RF hash. (Remedied most of this with common
> aluminum duct tape added as a shield in the housing)
>
> 2- due to the location of one outside light and it's relative position
> to the road I have to adjust the flood bulb down when the trees are
> bare. This is because the bright point source light from an LED looks
> VERY VERY bright from that angle. Even off axis it appears very bright,
> although it throws very little light at that angle.

---