[AT] Battery Charger recommendations

Ron Cook ron at lakeport-1.com
Mon Apr 25 08:00:42 PDT 2016

When Dean discovered those Harbor Freight float chargers, I jumped right
on those things.  Man, they were cheap and were supposed to do exactly
what I was wanting done.  I think out of six, maybe one will still
work.  Dunno.  It has never been used, as after ruining one battery and
two or three of the units quit working, they went to the trash.

I have not been satisfied with one purchase from Harbor Freight. All
junk.  Period!

Around 40plus years ago I bought a portable Dayton Battery
charger/booster.  6 or 12 volt.  Settings are: Low charge, high charge,
boost.  I would have to go look, but on 12 volt I think the low is 10
amp, high is 30.  boost is 300.  It reduces charge rate as the battery
charges up.  Increases charge rate as use demands.  Cost was right at 70
bucks.  Everyone I knew at the time had a complete fit that I would
spend that kind of money on a battery charger.  Guess what?  It has been
used extensively, as for about 35 years it was my only battery charger
with no need to replace it.  I did add a charger due to needing one at
another location 200 miles away.  My Dayton is on a battery as I write
this, working perfectly as it has always done.  You can get what you pay
for, sometimes.

Ron Cook, Salix, IA