[AT] Battery Charger recommendations

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Apr 24 20:36:21 PDT 2016

I have a lot of harbor freight tools and equipment.  I use it a lot and
have not had too many problems.   However, I do not really have any
electric or cordless tools from them.  i have a lot of their electric
winches and they work great on my 4 wheelers and my small trucks.
However, I use the big one with a pulley and try to take care of them.
They are not overloaded.  I have several of the battery maintainers from
HF, and some of  the little wall wart trickle chargers.   What I have
noticed with them is that they cannot stand a power surge. We have a lot
of lightning and power surges here in what used to be rural OK and I
think that is what has done them in.   I have one on my Onan Generator
to keep the battery up, and it has lasted 4 years The first one lasted 6
and I just changed that battery this winter.  10 years on a battery with
those trickle chargers on all the time..!!!  I cannot really gripe too
much on Harbor Freight.   I have good tools also, and use them, but when
out in the field, the HF tools are what are in the tool boxes on the
trucks and tractors...   I tend to lose more tools that I wear out.   I
find a lot of 5 gal buckets with old parts and tools in them, stashed in
trucks corners of sheds, and Under some kind of weather shield...  The
older I get, the more of these I find. Carrying the buckets to the tool
box is the real chore now.   I use my 4 wheeler as a wheel chair since
my knee gave out...

Cecil in OKla