[AT] Battery Charger recommendations

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri Apr 22 21:17:50 PDT 2016

I need to buy a new battery charger. Both of the ones I have had for many,
many years, one for over 40 years,  have gone South for the winter and never
came back.  Since I have several tractors here, a diesel truck, auto  and
several Garden tractors  and some other battery driven devises I'm thinking
of going whole hog and buying a Heavy Duty one in the neighborhood of
chagrining up to 250 Amps for starting.  That requires a roll around unit.
I've looked at Schumacher and Sears Units.  The Sears Diehard unit is
presently on top of the list primarily due to features and good reviews. I
was first thinking of Schumacher but there are more negative reviews about
them than what I ever expected. Primarily quality control issues.  Then as
an alternative I think of getting two smaller units one for the shop and one
for the three car
garage.   But having a HD unit sure sounds attractive to me.

 What has been your experiences out there with Battery chargers and
especially those I have mentioned?  Or do you have something else to
recommend?

My specs are up to 250 Amp Maximum for starting, then a choice of something
like 50, 10 selectable charge rates and 2 Amp maintenance charging.
Automatic in that it will drop to maintenance charging when the battery is
fully charged automatically.  Need both 6 and 12 Volt charging. Would prefer
analog gauges rather than idiot lights. Charge Timer not required if
automatic is properly designed.  Fairly rugged as it will get beat up
bouncing around the equipment and tractors.  Reverse lead protection and
notification. Don't remember ever doing that but.....  Decently long heavy
gauge leads with heavy good quality clamps. And a target under $200 cost

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA 98290

It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.