[AT] Lawn tractor

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Wed Apr 20 20:26:23 PDT 2016

Joining this a little late but went back and read the original post. I'm
not an expert by far and know nothing about this engine. Having said
that, years ago we had a IH 574 gas. The previous owner could not use it
on the silage blower because it would start surging and break the shear
pins and plug the blower. My dad bought it at auction (it had a loader)
and used it to feed cattle. We lived only a few hundred feet apart and
he was an early riser. Every morning he would start feeding cattle, it
had a straight through muffler, and it would start surging time after
time and wake me up. I got tired of it and starting reading up on it. I
found out that that tractor, and others, had a surge adjustment on the
governor. I found the bolt, loosened the jam nut and turned the
adjusting bolt three turns, tightened the jam nut and that was the end
of the surging problem. After that we tried it on our blower a couple of
times and it worked perfect. I'm wondering if your engine might have an
adjustment like that. I think I read about such an adjustment on some
Briggs engines. If I remember correctly ( a real challenge some days )
the engine involved moving a spring to a hole or something. Before
spending a lot of time and money on other things I think I would try and
find a book or a knowledgeable person and find out if this engine has a
surge adjustment. And yes this problem can show up at random. Good luck
on fixing this.
         Greg Hass