[AT] Simplicity Sovereign with Kohler CH18 engine

Mike M meulenms at gmx.com
Thu Apr 7 21:41:51 PDT 2016

So I resurrected my old Simplicity Sovereign (1995ish) the other day
after it sat all last year because of my new zero turn. It is tired, but
still has a use as a butt buggy, fertilizer spreader and wood splitter
hauler. The battery wouldn't take a charge, but did start with the
"jump" assist from my battery charger. Still after several days on a
battery maintainer, it would not fire, just click. I installed a new
lawn and garden battery and it fired right up. When doing more checking
however, I noticed that when I put am ammeter across the battery
terminals with the engine running it was pushing 17.75-18.0 volts
through the battery; too much correct? Why is it pushing this many
volts, and will it ruin my new battery.  I am not good with electronics,
and have Googled this but can't seem to find a good answer. Thanks for
any input, all is appreciated.

Regards,
Mike M

---