[AT] hay baler bearings

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon Apr 4 20:48:14 PDT 2016

Had to get my neighbor to bale my Rye yesterday.   I started baling with
the NH648 baler and the overhauled TS110 NH and the baler kept shearing
pins.   Neighbor had a 2 yr old JD 569 5x6 baler.    On 24 acres he made
17 bales.  When I moved them with the Belarus and Koyker loader, things
squeaked and groaned!  His bales were about 2 & 1/2 times what my 4x5
bales would weigh.  However, the baler as tightened up but the bales
were very ragged and soft compared to my New Holland baler on green
rye.  It was about 16% moisture.   I had a lot of problems getting them
picked up with the bale spike on the rear.  I had to have a bale on the
rear to counterweight the loader.

I started the tear down on my NH648 baler.   When I had a fire in the
baler last year, it damaged more than I thought.  So far, I have found 3
bearings out on the rollers in a "sledge frame" that forms the front of
the Bale chamber.  There are 3 rollers that are driven by gears at the
end of the rollers.    The gears have a bearing in them and the bearing
is not sold separate.  Since I need to replace the gears,  I will go
ahead and get them from NH, the only place. The rest of the bearings I
can  get cheaper at a bearing supply house.   However, the bearings on
the belt roller at the top are $105 each and no prt number interchange.
They are not in good shape to determine just what they are either..  In
order to get back in the field with this baler, it will be just a little
less than $2000 in parts.  If I could not weld up the frame that is
worn, it wold be another $1640!!

Since Fiat bought into New Holland, the parts prices have gone up over
25% from last year.

I got to figuring my cost on those 17 bales of Rye and the fert, seed
and baling comes to $186 a bale.  If they weigh 2000# as the loader acts
like, that is $186/ton not counting labor....

My Dad used to say it took a shower of Manure and a Shower of Rain every
30 minutes to make a crop on this land...  I think he was right.  There
was $2300 worth of fertilizer on that 24 acres, at the lower prices....

I turned the cows in on the stubble and they seem to be happy.

Cecil in OKla