[Farmall] farmall c mower help

Ivan ivancou at windstream.net
Mon Sep 28 16:50:37 PDT 2015

  I've been helping a buddy get his tractor running and finally I told
him to take it and try it .   So yesterday he got it out and mowed the
first time with it . Said it ran great til he smoked the belt on the
mower . So I had to go back over tonight to check it out .
     My limited experience growing up in haying was that I rode a horse
drawn sickle mower while the old guy  towed it with a farmall super a .
He baled with the super a and a self powered baler powered by a engine
that you had to start by spinning a big flywheel by hand .  Then when it
dried I had to walk beside the wagon and throw bales onto the wagon , at
the end of the row you'd climb on and stack it . And of course when you
got back to the barn heave it into the mow and stack it again .  I
recall him before starting that he would go over things with a oil can
and grease gun .  Almost fifty years later  now.
  Now , I'm working on a farmall c with a  IH mounted sicyle bar .
Obviosly the belt is shot ,hence the smoke and noise . I turned it over
by hand to see if the bar was tight . no  .  However I'm not sure if my
buddy lowered the bar with the lift all or just let it hang where it was
. I see a potential for some binding if that was the case .
   Thinking back of my younger days and the old guy with the oil can ,
I looked at the housing where the drive shaft connects and  on the back
side is the pulley that turns the lower unit where the pitman arm is .
I saw a plug on top ,  ? . Got it out and it was dry inside .  Not good
. I'm betting that the bottom housing is the same way and that it might
be starting to tighten up from lack of oil or grease .  What goes in
those two housings  ?  The one I looked into was empty so I'm guessing
some type of heavy oil  .
  Also , should the cutter bar be oiled or greased ,especially where the
pitman arm connects . There is a guide plate there that holds the bar
down so it doesnt jump around and its kinda shiney where it rubs .
   Thanks , Ivan