[AT] de-greasing disc brakes , disc brake fire and hauling hay

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Sep 27 05:31:22 PDT 2015

I just had a little problem with disc brakes on my 91 IHC 4700 truck.
Of course they a little different than the tractor brakes.   This truck
spent its first 19 years with the OK DOT.  I really did not know it had
4 wheel disc brakes until I had to fix a flat on the duals...  It has a
DT 366 w/ a 5spd trans and a 2 spd rear end.
I was using it yesterday to haul hay on my bale trailer that picks up
round bales in a 5 bale row and swings out to the side and back behind
the truck for loading.    I had hauled 3 loads and was heading back to
the field when I smelled something hot like a clutch.   I had noticed
there was not a lot of free travel on the clutch and thought I better go
back to the shade tree and adjust the clutch.   By the time I got home,
there was a small flame seen inside the left front wheel.    I got the
water hose and flooded it for 20 minutes before it quit steaming!!!
This was the first time I ever had problems with it, but the caliper was
really dragging.   Not a good thing to have flames near dry hay!!

I got the semi with the low boy trailer and hauled the tractor and
finished my hay delivery.

  I spent a small fortune on this truck when I bought it because it has
a  hydraulic system with 7 circuits controlled by electric solenoid
valves.   The valves are inside the 50 gallon hydraulic reservoir.  The
truck was used to spread salt in addition to service as a dump truck.
The bed powers up and down so it could hold the slat spreader solid when
spreading.  I use one of the hyd circuits to power 2 solenoid valves
that control the up and down and the swing function of the trailer.
The only problem with this trailer is that the rails that the bales are
supported are 4 inch pipe and very slick.   Bales will slide forward or
rearward while in transport.   Originally it had chains that rode in
slots that held the bales front and rear.  However with our rough roads
here, the chains would jump out of the slots and lose on the road.   I
have to hold the ends with cable come-a-longs.

When I could get in and out of the truck easily ( before the knee injury
)  I could haul 20 bales an hour from the field to a customer 3 miles
away.    Now, it takes me and my wife to move 15 an hour that far.    I
am trying to design an arm on the front and rear that would hold the
bales from sliding out.   Then all I would have to get out for is to
connect the safety rod that holds the trailer from swinging out.  The
cylinder holds the trailer at one side to swing and it could break a
hose and swing out into traffic without the safety.

I don't have a picture of the trailer, but there is a link to the patent
that shows several views of the trailer...
http://www.google.com/patents/US6179540

Cecil in OKla

On 9/26/2015 8:21 PM, Indiana Robinson wrote:
> I have always liked disk brakes. I guess the first tractor here with them
> was the MF-65-D-HA bought new. Next was the MF-165-D-HA that the 65 was
> traded on. It's still here. Many years ago we bought a very nice New Idea
> mounted picker (we had always used pull type pickers) and the friend that
> had owned it had used it on a Farmall M. We went looking for a good Super M
> to mount it on since we wanted the Farmall Super M improvements. More HP,
> thicker radiator, bigger clutch, live hydraulics and disk brakes. Worked
> well. Later I found my Farmall Super MTA to use with that picker for the TA
> and independent PTO. It also has disk brakes. A bit later we picked up the
> Farmall 400 (just because)  :-)  and it has disk brakes. I think the only
> other tractor here with disk brakes is my Minneapolis Moline R. Its disk
> brakes also work very well too.
> We did have a bit of a disk brake problem with the Farmalls. We bought new
> disks from Tractor Supply Stores that were only a small part of the price
> of the ones from IHC. They looked very good but just wouldn't grip well
> enough. We solved that by buying a full set from IHC and using one IHC disk
> and one TSC disk together on both the Super M and the Super MTA. They have
> always worked fine since.
> In regards to throttle settings... here we have always used full throttle
> for about any soil preparation job like plowing, disking etc. PTO jobs just
> depended on the job. Cultivating (when we still did it) was usually fairly
> low RPM unless the crop was pretty tall. I always felt that the engines
> were engineered to run at maximum governed speed when pulling the maximum
> load. I was always a bit surprised when guys talked about never running
> full throttle. (shrug)  A lot of clutches use weights to apply more
> pressure to the disk at higher RPM's and if you run at maximum load at
> lower RPM's I would expect more possibility of some slippage.

---