[AT] de-greasing disc brakes

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 18:21:55 PDT 2015

I have always liked disk brakes. I guess the first tractor here with them
was the MF-65-D-HA bought new. Next was the MF-165-D-HA that the 65 was
traded on. It's still here. Many years ago we bought a very nice New Idea
mounted picker (we had always used pull type pickers) and the friend that
had owned it had used it on a Farmall M. We went looking for a good Super M
to mount it on since we wanted the Farmall Super M improvements. More HP,
thicker radiator, bigger clutch, live hydraulics and disk brakes. Worked
well. Later I found my Farmall Super MTA to use with that picker for the TA
and independent PTO. It also has disk brakes. A bit later we picked up the
Farmall 400 (just because)  :-)  and it has disk brakes. I think the only
other tractor here with disk brakes is my Minneapolis Moline R. Its disk
brakes also work very well too.
We did have a bit of a disk brake problem with the Farmalls. We bought new
disks from Tractor Supply Stores that were only a small part of the price
of the ones from IHC. They looked very good but just wouldn't grip well
enough. We solved that by buying a full set from IHC and using one IHC disk
and one TSC disk together on both the Super M and the Super MTA. They have
always worked fine since.
In regards to throttle settings... here we have always used full throttle
for about any soil preparation job like plowing, disking etc. PTO jobs just
depended on the job. Cultivating (when we still did it) was usually fairly
low RPM unless the crop was pretty tall. I always felt that the engines
were engineered to run at maximum governed speed when pulling the maximum
load. I was always a bit surprised when guys talked about never running
full throttle. (shrug)  A lot of clutches use weights to apply more
pressure to the disk at higher RPM's and if you run at maximum load at
lower RPM's I would expect more possibility of some slippage.

--

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
robinson46176 at gmail.com