[AT] de-greasing disc brakes

Howard Weeks weeksh at att.net
Wed Sep 23 12:36:01 PDT 2015

I have burned the oil and grease out of several band type brakes by
tying them up with hay wire and directly heating the pads with a propane
torch. The embedded pad material would flame up and smoke as it burned
off.  When the oil was burned off, it would quit flaming and the smoke
would clear up. I have reused them and they appear to be as good as new
ones. I used just enough heat to keep them burning while there was
something to burn. Don't think I ever got he metal parts of the band hot
enough to turn red.

I had planned to throw them away if the burn didn't work.

Howard in GA