[AT] de-greasing disc brakes

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sun Sep 20 20:31:02 PDT 2015

jtchall at nc.rr.com wrote:
> OK, I’m normally one of the first people to say don’t try this just
> buy some new ones. However, 4 disc brakes to fit my combine will run
> me $450 from Deere—they are not available aftermarket—it appears the
> 3300 was the ONLY thing to use this particular transmission. I’ve got
> plenty of pad left on them. I had a light leak/sweat on one side, the
> other is dry. Anyone ever had any luck degreasing a set? As stated
> they weren’t really greasy, but they just have a look and feel that
> to me suggests at some point they have gotten grease on them. I’m
> thinking about soaking them in Purple power for a couple days. I
> washed them off with Gunk yesterday.
>
> When I put this combine back in service 3 years ago I  ground down
> the spots on the steel parts (larger and smaller diameters left as
> the discs wore them away) where the pads don’t run. Installed new
> balls and springs. This time I am going to try re-machining the 2
> steel pcs that actuate the brakes as I can tell they are not wearing
> flat. I’ll hand sand the discs on a ground plate or surface plate—yes
> I know they are probably asbestos so I’ll take reasonable
> precautions. I’m also going to replace the seals in the transmission.
>

> Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheap toaster oven kitty litter (cheap unscented), foil tin large enough
to hold discs, and some brake cleaner. Spray them down with the cleaner,
let them dry a bit. A layer of litter, a disc, layer of litter repeat.
Toss the mess into the toaster oven (OUTSIDE IN THE OPEN AIR !!!) Set
the oven for 400-450 degrees. Let them cook for an hour or so. The heat
will boil the oil out of the material and the litter absorbs anything
that doesn't cook off.

--
Steve W.