[AT] OFF Topic: 4 month Verizon WAR

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 06:51:14 PDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 7:45 AM, Stephen Offiler <soffiler at gmail.com> wrote:

> Again, Mike M and I are 100% in agreement.  I enjoyed his comments about
> "news" these days.
>
> Have you ever had something significant happen locally, big enough to make
> the Big Four national news?  I've seen this at least a few times
> (typically, weather events; we've had a couple that were the lead story on
> the national news).  Since it's local, I naturally have a pretty decent
> picture of what's really going on.  Every single time, the national news
> report is superficial, hitting only a fraction of the details that would be
> needed to present something like a comprehensive picture.  I know they have
> time constraints but each and every time they could have told a decent
> story in the time alotted; instead what came out is just the shocking
> "entertaining" details which tell a very distorted version of the real
> story.  It is reasonable to believe that every single story is the same -
> there is NO comprehensive responsible journalism in the news.
>
> I am politically pretty neutral, and I am bothered by most news sources,
> which almost always have a bias, typically either a subtle liberal slant or
> a strong conservative slant.  One of the news sources I tend to like these
> days, which makes a real effort to focus on facts and responsible
> journalism, is called The Conversation.  It's much more oriented toward
> news analysis, versus useless up-to-the-minute "late breaking news!" sound
> bites.
>
> https://theconversation.com/us
>

> SO

"Max Headroom Lives"...
I have made that reference many times over the years but these days I
notice that more look at me like a deer looking at headlights.
:-)
Too few are old enough to remember the show for the reference to be very
useful...
Here is a bit of a synopsis:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/2/8285139/max-headroom-oral-history-80s-cyberpunk-interview
Or just Google it.
One important thing left out here was that TV's were hardwired to your home
and ran 24 - 7. People were arrested if they had a TV with any kind of an
off switch.

I find that I get a different perspective by following BBC and a little of
a couple of other overseas sources. They see us through different eyes.
Any kind of spectator sports are absolutely meaningless to me, always have
been.
I do find Twitter a bit useful but what I follow there is almost all
science stuff or news.

--

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"