[AT] OT truck tires/driveshaft?

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sat Oct 31 05:14:00 PDT 2015

And the verdict is in, after over a year, it was the new, properly balanced,
front tires. To those of you who remember this thread my grain truck had a
horrible vibration, especially when loaded. I shuffled tires around on the
back like crazy because they were old, mismatched and downright dangerous
looking. Finally put a new set on the rear. I also put new shocks on the
front. Studied driveshaft phasing and checked the truck. Jacked up one side
of the rear so I could watch the driveshaft turn. It didn't matter what I
checked, everything seemed OK. I was going to pull the driveshaft and have
it balanced--would cost a little under $200 to do that. Dad convinced me to
first put 2 old tires on the front that I had mounted for spares. Amazingly,
those ancient, worn, mismatched tires got rid of the vibration. Put my new,
balanced tires back on and it was back. I found a nice matched pair off a
church bus on Craigslist, for less than I paid for one new tire. The dealer
that sold me the tires switched them for free, the tire manufacturer would
not give any refund. We hauled 8 loads of corn and everything seems to be
working well. The only thing I can figure is a belt or something in the new
tires was broke/breaking and the problem was steadily worsening. Anyway, I'm
glad that is fixed, I was getting to the point I could swap those tires at a
rate that a Nascar pit crew would call admirable!

John Hall