[AT] Just checking....

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Oct 31 04:31:29 PDT 2015

I'll throw a few things out there.  I had to spray my wheat for army
worms as they had eaten about 2/3 of it.   I could not tell if the spray
really did any good.  I had used no-till this year as I needed what
pasture was left for my cows.  I was waiting on the price to go back up
a little before hauling some off.  I had a client who raised rye and had
saved me some.  I sowed another 2+ bushel per acre of rye on the wheat
ground with the no-till drill.  I turned the cows in on what wheat was
left to graze it and the weeds and crabgrass that was there. When I was
cleaning out the drill I ran it across the severely over grazed buffalo
grass pasture. It rained just enough last week to cause the rye to
sprout and the wheat that was not totally destroyed came back.   I sowed
each planting in a different direction in order to see where I had been,
and now it really shows up.  The rye is a reddish purple and the wheat
is green. With all the forage that appears to be coming up, I am going
to have to fertilize a LOT to keep it growing.  There is nearly 6 bushel
of grain per acre sowed!!

  It appears the no-till drill was set at just the proper depth this
time.  I had turned my drawbar over to raise it for the swather and
hooked on to the drill without changing it and accidentally it put the
coulters at the right depth!!!
Where I sowed in the pasture while cleaning out the drill is coming up
also.  I wish I had cut the drill back and saved enough to plant the
entire pasture.  This is the 3rd wettest year on record, so I guess we
have been lucky.  The prediction is for a wetter and colder than normal
winter.  If we get any snow, I am going to spread fertilizer on top of
the snow.

The wet cycle appears to be starting and I still have over 100 acres
that need to be cut and baled.   It is very stemmy now and the weeds got
away from me due to my main tractor being out of service and me being
the only mechanic, driver, and veterinarian. I am looking at cutting it
with the bat wing mower and raking it up and then wrapping it for
haylage.  I have some microbes to spray on it to help in fermentation.
It will need it due to there not being a lot of green left in it.

My New Holland tractor now has to have a new windshield wiper motor
installed.  The NH dealership hooked up the linkage wrong and the switch
was turned on before I got it corrected and it burned out the motor.
During harvest I had a bad hydraulic leak on the NH baler.  I had 2
replacement hoses made at the NH/Case IH dealership.  One of the hoses
blew apart while I was working on the baler last week.  Luckily I was
not under the baler or I would not be typing this.  The other hose they
made was also starting to leak.  The outer layer of the hose just
stripped off.  I had been trying to stop the leak thinking that it was
the threaded connection.  It is in a nearly inaccessible area where it
cannot be seen and you have to work blind to tighten up the hoses.
If any of you guys have to have hydraulic hoses made, be very wary of
Gates hydraulic hoses and fittings.  They have made their crimp fittings
so thick that the crimper does not get the collar swaged tight enough to
crimp into the wire, it only holds onto the covering.  I replaced the
Gates with my own home built fittings. I use the "bite to wire" fittings
and have an old Weather head crimper.

Well I hope I have stimulated some conversation, it is not all old
tractors.  The 7030 Allis is the old one I use to pull my Swather with,
as it is the only one with enough horses to really pull it.   It can
cut, crimp, and windrow 4 ft tall grass 12ft wide at 7mph.  Now that is
impressive!!
My 2-105 White is still disabled with a tire that slips on the rim.  I
really hate to drill the rim for screws to lock the bead, but it looks
like that may be the only way to go.  The dealer is not going to stand
behind them.  I think I will start with #6 stainless screws on 6 inch
centers on each side of the rim to hold the tire.  The manufacturer's
rep said to wrap the rim with duct tape!!  I have seen deteriorated duct
tape too many times to do that... At my age the tires will outlast me,
so I will use screws...

That's about it in Oklahoma.  Still raining here, and we needed it..

Cecil in OKla