[AT] Stuck JD B

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 14 19:37:34 PDT 2015

Determine why the engine is stuck, that will dictate what you do next. If it
is just from sitting but has not rained inside it, soak it in something and
try to turn it over. If it has rained inside it and there is lots of rust,
save yourself some grief and pull the head--especially if it is holding
water. Never try to turn an engine that has a bunch of gunk in the
cylinders, if it ain't broke now it will be once you scratch up the
bore/rings. As suggested already, check the valves before you do anything. I
folded up a couple pushrods one night being lazy and impatient. Ever noticed
how many hit and miss engines have the exhaust rocker arm pivot welded back
on the head--lots of muscle and no brain causes that. Keep in mind, freeing
a stuck engine can take 5 minutes or 5 months, depending on how bad it is.
There are all sorts of tricks to use, just need to determine the severity of
the problem.

Like everyone else, your bearings should be fine---keep them marked and
don't mix them up. You can remove shims to tighten things up when you
reassemble if needed.

Good luck and keep us posted, I haven't heard of anyone on the list actually
restoring a tractor in quite some time, this should make for great
conversation!

John Hall