[AT] Oliver Tractor for sale in MA

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 16:16:29 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 2:21 PM, charlie hill <charliehill at embarqmail.com>
wrote:

> There's three ways to price old iron.
>
> What is it worth to part out or resell?
>
> What is it worth to me to do some job I need done?
>
> What is it worth to a collector who has been looking for that
> particular tractor for a while and this is the first one he's found?
>
> All three result in different values.
>
> At a minimum, assuming it will run and perform reasonably well,
> consider what you'd have to pay to buy something new that will do the
> same job and it will probably look like a bargain.
> I suspect Grant can address this as he runs a large farming operation with
> just such tractors.
>
> Charlie

There is another whole tier of old tractor pricing...
I have a few I would probably sell pretty cheap (Incomplete hulks). A WD
Allis I have sort of falls there. I'm just holding on to it hoping to find
a cheap complete one with the the tranny or rear end that was destroyed or
maybe a bad final drive.

Some I just don't especially care for the way they operate or are difficult
to climb on and off or something else I don't care for. Those I could be
arm-twisted into selling for the "right" price (don't read that as cheap).
My Massey Harris Pony kind of falls in that class. I almost need to be
hoisted up and lowered into the seat like some of the knights of old... It
was not designed around an overweight old man.

Some like my Farmall Super-MTA would take some pretty serious arm
twisting... I'm very fond of that tractor even though it is generally
bigger than I need these days. For the kind of stuff I do now (when I can)
for the horses or trying to keep buildings from falling apart I'm
especially fond of the little TO-20 Ferguson. I have two 8N Fords, one just
apart and needing to go together and the other a not-stuck non-runner with
a good Sherman and a roughly "welded" block that may have to wait another
year. I would be pretty hard to talk out of any of those. The same with my
1947 Farmall Cub, its part of the family.

Then I have a Minneapolis Moline R that I restored several years ago that
belonged to an uncle. That makes it worth more to me even if not to anyone
else... I need to change a rear tire on it and clean it up some.
I have a restored Allis C that was bought new in 1946 by a very good older
family friend who I greatly respected. It has been on this farm since the
early 1960's. Two of his grandsons have tried several times to buy it from
me but I will not even listen to offers... It just isn't for sale at any
price.

What I need the most right now (besides both of us staying away from all of
the doctors and the hospital) is a building  next to my shop that will hold
all of the excess crap out of the shop so I can work in it. I'm making slow
progress on both fronts but I keep running out of places to sit the stuff I
pick up...
BTW, Diana had a brain MRI Monday which had me kind of worried but it came
out as good news. So many tests...

--

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"