[AT] Hey Ralph!

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 07:50:43 PST 2015

They replaced the water main into a great uncle's house in San Diego while
I was there in 1959. They said that they only buried them a couple of
inches to keep people from hitting them with the mower.  :-)
On the other hand their water was so acidic that they had to replace them
pretty often due to them getting eaten up from the inside. I think the one
they replaced was about 8 years old.
I had to bypass and abandon some lines here on the farm. Only lasted about
60 years... Here in Central Indiana they require 30" depth on a house
foundation. Water is pretty safe at that depth too but in long runs of well
below zero weather the Indianapolis Water Company has had pipes freeze at
4' depth. I found long ago that on short hand dug runs to stock water
fountains etc. the pipe wouldn't freeze at about 18" during several days of
20 below temps if I laid a strip of 1" foam board about 10" wide right on
top of the pipe before back-filling. Even as the frost line moves down the
heat in the Earth keeps moving up. If you can stop the cold going down and
the heat coming up on the  top of the pipe it works very well. Of course it
also helped I'm sure that they drank pretty regular and the water didn't
sit in the pipe not moving for days.
Putting that cheap foam board in the ditch was a whole lot easier than hand
digging the pipe in deeper.