[AT] Compact tractors

Herb Metz metz-h.b at comcast.net
Mon Nov 16 22:58:23 PST 2015

Warren, my memory lapses are upsetting.  I knew you were a construction
contractor, but I sure forgot that when replying.  Remembering your work
situation, I sure agree with your decision.
A 'trick' I learned when working for an uncle two summers.  I drove a M
Farmall, cousin drove a W6 IHC (basically same except wheatland version),
and uncle drove an older IHC 22-36 (much more power), all pulling 3-16
plows..  I was getting behind on the hills because I had to step down a gear
on two hills; so I resorted to shifting on the go. Third and fourth gears
are offset, Murphy caught me and I locked the transmission into both gears.
Confession time!  So uncle pulled me a half mile back to the shed where he
removed the gear shift lever and used a large screw driver to unlock the
stuck shift lever, and back to work.  Looking back, he could have corrected
that out in the field, opinion is he just wanted to make sure I did not
repeat that error.  Now, the trick he told me. Just move over approx  6" to
the right and take a 6" lesser cut.  So what if the furrow becomes a little
crooked.
So, if you find that two bottom plow and you have an area that is tough
plowing, just move over to the right several inches, and laugh at Old
Murphy.
Enjoy that new Kubota.
Herb(GA)