[AT] MIG welders

Ivan ivancou at windstream.net
Sun Nov 15 09:09:28 PST 2015

On 11/15/2015 7:43 AM, macowboy at comcast.net wrote:
> Does any one have any advice on what to look for when purchasing a MIG welder? I am primarily going to use it for sheet metal repair and some light duty repairs. An occasional  1/4" weld is not out of the possibility. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Jim Thomson
> Rehoboth, MA
        Consider 110 or 220 volts .  110 is all over  220 is not  . But
the 220 is much more usable because it can handle lots of different stuff .
    I have a Miller 180 that will handle over 1/4 " with multiple passes
.   Something tha the salesman pointed out was that the miller had more
adjustments  than the hobart .  He had them side by side .  The miller
has a chart inside the wire cover and shows different thickness of metal
with setings  .Dont be scared off by seeing the rotary knobs instead of
a couple fixed positions .  Being able to tweak those individually is a
great thing .   A automatic helment is the way to go and a good strong
spot light behind you or off to the side makes seeing very easy when the
hood goes dark .
The Miller will also hold a 10 pound roll of wire ,about $ 35 here . A 2
pound of flux core will cost you about $16  , big savings ,and a lot
less time changing empty wire spools .       The big spools make neat
holders for rolling up extension cords .
  Someone else pointed out the flux core is not a nice weld compared to
the solid wire with gas .     Ivan