[AT] Quick question

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Fri Nov 13 16:45:13 PST 2015

I was going to suggest you look into the voluntary ag district, but I see
you have. I sent some info to a regional agronomist friend to see if he
knows anyone up your way that can help.

Do you have a farm liability policy? Its dirt cheap through NC Farm
Bureau---you need this even if you just own a farm.

I got a neighbor on the back of the family farm that hates me and dad for
shooting deer in my soybean fields. He's been back there for 40+ years. This
year he called the soil and water conservation district and the the State
water quality office (or something like that) to complain we were flooding
his property. Both agencies informed him we had made no changes to our
farming practices, that the lay of the land was the way the good Lord made
it, my waterway was up to code, and as long as I didn't intentionally funnel
water in his direction there was nothing that I was doing wrong.

I have no idea how to get along with neighbors, they all raise heck!  Our
farm was here back in slavery times and has been in my family since
1942---all the neighbors are new kids on the block.

Funny story that happened in the Durham courthouse years ago. Farmer had his
hog pen on one corner of his property. The adjoining property was turned
into a subdivision. The neighbors took him to court saying that area of land
was zoned single family dwelling. He told the judge it was a single family
dwelling, but he couldn't help it if the sows were a bunch of whores. Case
was dismissed, and yes it is true.

John Hall