[AT] Thank You Vets

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Fri Nov 13 13:47:11 PST 2015

Cecil,  I played with Google Earth some more and plotted lines of travel
by measuring lines from the points you mentioned.  It turns out that if
you pass off Cape Horn and continue south, not actually rounding the cape
but passing near it and skirting around Antarctica that you end up near
Australia
following a direct arc in clear water.  Then plotting a course from
Australia
to Egypt it is pretty much a clear shot and away from both Africa and the
south Pacific.  If the goal was to steer clear of the Germans around Africa
and
the Japs in the western Pacific that turns out to be a fairly reasonable
route.
It's a few thousand miles out of the way but that was not the major concern
in those days.

Charlie