[AT] Healthy Eating, was "Just checking"

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Fri Nov 6 17:46:02 PST 2015

This isn't one of ours, we had two 4 bottoms like it though We ran it deeper
than 10 inches. I have seen the ground so tight that the auto-reset would
trip 2 or 3 bottoms--sounds like someone unloading a 12 gauge. The reason we
ran auto-reset was due to all the big  rocks. We ran the plows behind two
4020's and a 4430. No way any of them could have handled 5 bottoms. A
neighbor pulled 5 with his IH 1466. The fastest we ran the 4020's in the
field was fifth pulling an offset harrow. On a couple occasions we pulled
the culti-mulcher in 6th, it was a 12 or 14 ft Brillion. Power wasn't a
problem, rocks were. I rented a no-till subsoiler about 5-6 years ago. It
had 8 inch wide points. I could only run it with two shanks and literally
stopped the tractor a few times as it was, nothing like the front end a
couple feet off the ground and you have to try to back the subsoiler out of
the ground. Basically the HP requirement was 45 per shank, I believe I ran
it in 3rd, possible 4th to get the proper shattering effect on the soil. I
can go 10 miles east of here and the game changes, few rocks and sandy soil.

John Hall