[AT] Healthy Eating, was "Just checking"

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Thu Nov 5 17:27:45 PST 2015

Depending on what age makes them antique, all my farming this year was done
with tractors built from 1944-1972.

The DC Case is a 44 model. We used in to pull my 50's New Holland baler with
Wisconsin engine. With the hand clutch and plenty of weight to handle the
baler and a wagon, it’s a good combo. We baled around 1,100 bales of hay and
straw this year. You'd think I could afford a more modern baler. I actually
could If I wasn't pouring money into everything else.

We have two Farmall Super A's 51 and 52 models. One has the sickle mower,
the other has the PTO drive Allis Hay rake (built in the 40's/50's) That's
about all those 2 have done this year. Actually the one with the sickle
mower has had the mower on it for 2-3 years now.

The Farmall M is a 1947  model. It has a mounted John Blue spray rig for
liquid nitrogen. When not spraying it pulls my 10ft Dunham culti-packer (
the big kind with 2 rows of teeth for spoining out tracks, not the little
ones you pull behind a drill). On rare occasion we may hook it to the 12ft
gang harrow, but that’s one heck of a load!

The 4020 Deere is a 68 model. That’s what I had hooked to the old road
grader in the picture I posted last week. It also pulls both harrows, the
chisel plow, subsoiler, drill, corn planter, sprays corn and spreads
ammonium sulfate on the corn, bushogs corn and milo stalks. Oh yeah, it has
the job of backing hay wagons under the shed. There is no flat land here so
backing a loaded wagon up-hill while on grass is better suited for something
with power steering and enough weight to do the job. Also we use this
tractor for the scrape blade, hooking up the forklift attachment, and
operating the only Cat 2 boom pole I have ever seen. We never question how
much weight the boom can handle, its more of a matter will the front end
stay on the ground!

The workhorse we use most often is an IH 454, 1972 model. It runs 2
different bushhogs, sprays, spreads fertilizer, teds hay, handles my auger
cart, occasionaly used with the scrape blade. Also got a hydraulic dump
trailer made from the back half of a 2-ton truck that we pull with it.

So if your definition of antique is over 40 years old, that’s what we've
been doing with our old tractors this year.

We're down to spraying weeds and drilling wheat for this year, I hope. If it
ever dries up I hope to be done before Thanksgiving. Then the ever growing
list of "shop work" can begin.

John Hall