[AT] Lug Nuts

rlgoss at twc.com rlgoss at twc.com
Sun Nov 1 13:47:22 PST 2015

It's not overkill in my book, John.  The first thing we had to do with new ZTR mowers when we uncrated them was loosen all the lug nuts, re-tighten by hand, and then torque them with a break-over wrench.  Then we could adjust the tire pressure.  In a slightly off-topic message, my brother has been complaining to me for several years about the lack of traction on his ZTR mower.  Something I said to him a couple of months ago finally got through to him and he bought a set of high-flotation, low lug, ag tires for it.  Bottom line: No more traction problems, no more slipping and sliding when mowing hills, and the bare spots that hae been worn in his lawn will turn green again.

Larry
---- jtchall at nc.rr.com wrote:
> Got a 66 Mustang I bought in 87. Its got some really weird chrome rims--they
have slots instead of holes to fit different bolt circles. They use a
shouldered lug nut. You have to slowly tighten them up or you will cause the
shoulder to pinch. When I got the car we had to use a 3/4" air wrench to get
some of the lug nuts off.

Every tire tech I've ever watched just runs the bolt/nuts up with no regard
to what should be happening. I always run them up slow, sometime by hand.
Then I set my torque wrench about 15 lbs lower than what is called for. Once
I torque them at that setting I adjust for the final torque. I will confess
I only torque aluminum rims. Everything else I tighten by hand, unless we
are talking tractor tires, then I'll use the air wrench. Even then I
progressively tighten them. Might be a little overkill, but it works for me.

John Hall