[AT] road grader

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 1 11:02:57 PST 2015

I think I have mentioned my familys presumably antique road grader here before. We had a couple ditches that needed pulling between some fields and the property line. Last Sat was nice and dry, not to mention I had the corn out of the fields. We hadn’t used it in a couple years, lets just say it was mighty stiff.  There are no helper springs on this machine so raising the blade is a real chore. Heck picking the tongue up ain’t easy, it may have had a spring to help with that originally. We offset it to track 3-4 feet to one side so we could put it in the ditch and keep the tractor on sure footing. In places I had to get off and walk behind since the tree branches on the borders would have knocked me off the operators platform. Most of the time I had so much pressure on the blade the right rear of the grader would be off the ground. I introduced my son to the controls so he could see what real work is like. I don’t think I have ever been in shape enough to run that thing all day, 3 hours is enough unless you are lightly grading roads. It does a great job clearing snow, provided you have somewhere to turn around. FYI, my grandmother bought it for $75 way back when the biggest thing on the farm was a Farmall M. I will say you aren’t going to do anything other than road scraping with that small of a tractor. We had one ditch we used to pull every couple years that required hooking both 4020 Deeres to it. The ditch was so steep you really had to hang on to ride the grader.

John Hall