[AT] Tractor update (the rest of the story)

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Mon May 25 15:05:18 PDT 2015

Some time ago I wrote about my brothers tractor. It is a Case-IH front
wheel assist compact type tractor of a little over 60 hp. It is
something like JCX or a similar type heading. Because he bought it new
and because it only has 600 hours on it he always said he was going  to
keep it up. In late winter he took it in because the 4 wheel drive light
was always on, the brake warning light was on and the ground speed
indicator didn't work. A new sensor fixed the 4 wheel drive and
overfilling the brake reservoir a little turned out the brake warning
light. They then ran up a $2000 bill trying to fix the ground speed
indicator. They put in a new sensor and tore apart the whole dash ( this
tractor has both a cab and a loader ) but found nothing. All they said
was that where they tested they only got 2 volts instead of twelve and
that there must be a bad connection in the wiring which would be $3000
to replace. My brother was not going to spent that much money on it so
brought it back home. A couple of days later he went to use it and it
wouldn't move; the engine was running.  The next day the dealer came out
and said the clutch was out of adjustment and the computer stopped it
from moving. After adjusting the clutch, it worked around the yard, but
after filling the corn planter and hooking it to the tractor, the
tractor again wouldn't move. He unhooked the planter and towed the
tractor out of the way and put his 40 year old IH 584 on the planter to
sow. The next day the dealer was out again. I don't know what they did
but it was "fixed." Again he hooked to the planter, he likes the cab and
air conditioning, went in to get a drink and came out to a tractor that
again, wouldn't move. Again he towed it out of the way and used his 584
to plant ( he ended up planting all his corn and soybeans with the 40
year old tractor). The fourth trip out, the dealer said their meter said
the computer was bad; what happened the first three times I don't know,
and it would be 4 or 5 days to get a new one. He hasn't got the bill yet
but was told the computer alone was somewhere north of $600. Since being
fixed he has used it several times for loader work, and guess what, he
now says everything now works, including the speed sensor; which means
all his troubles except the four wheel drive light were caused by the
computer and not the wiring. Which also means the $2000 spent tearing
out the dash and the purposed $3000 wiring harness were all so much very
expensive hot air.
           Greg Hass