[AT] OT--- 800 IH plate planter

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 05:59:32 PDT 2015

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 7:28 AM, <jtchall at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> The sad part is my family owned 2 of them (bought new) and both had around
> 8,000 hrs when we stopped the real farming operation. As much as my pride
> gets hurt sometimes, reading the owner and service manuals can be a really
> good thing! Of course some of the manuals aren't worth the paper they are
> printed on. I just wish the technology would have been better regarding the
> photos for the older stuff. There are 2 things I certainly want manuals on,
> combines and hay balers.
>
> Just thought of another "do it by the book" situation. We've discussed
> dad's
> 4020 still having two 12 volt batteries. Its so old now I'll probably never
> change it from the 12/24 volt system unless it gets to be really
> bothersome.
> With its current set up, one battery always runs down before the other. If
> you read the manuals you find both batteries are for cranking and only one
> is for running the lights. I don't remember the particulars but Deeres
> solution was to rotate the batteries--like anyone would ever do that
> voluntarily. At least Deere explained the problem and a way to help
> maintain
> the situation instead of buying batteries often.
>
> John

Electric golf carts require good battery management... Gravity testing,
load testing and proper charging.
I had read somewhere that you should let them get a little low before
charging but I just read "in the book"  :-)  for my 94 Club Car that such
is not their recommendation. They say that if you don't use the cart on a
day, don't charge it but if you do use it even if only for 10 minutes that
day then charge it... I guess I will go that route.
I lucked out and found the complete (as in around 300 pages) service manual
(not just operators manual) on-line in PDF as a free download.

Batteries are a tough item also for old tractors. Hard enough to keep them
well charged let alone replaced  ($$$$). Especially on a bunch of tractors
that seldom get used for any work. I now have about 4 float chargers and
need to get some more. I keep one on the motorhome or it will go down but
the float charger is plenty to keep it up.
Most of my regular battery chargers are aging out like my tires. Several
will be OK with new cords and clamps but a few are just junk now. Many were
bought in the 1950's and 60's. I did buy a new roll around one last year
but like so many now it is just 12 volt.

.

--

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"