[AT] OT--- 800 IH plate planter

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Fri May 22 20:21:19 PDT 2015

It worked fine, I think. Let me elaborate. The fields I planted in corn were
in milo last year. I cut it right before Christmas, miring in the mud and
leaving ruts all the way. When it finally dried out in March I bushhogged
the  stalks and then proceeded to tear the ground up. We got a nice seed bed
on most of it, although some of the areas were a little clody so the corn
has not come up in those yet. Due to the extensive repairs to the planter, I
didn't get in the field until 2 weeks ago, about 3 weeks later than I would
have liked. I think the areas that have not come up will in the next day or
two as we just got some rain. Isn't it funny how it won't stop raining and
then when it does, it doesn’t want to start back? I wanted to plant more
corn but with the cheap price and our low yields (compared to the midwest) I
only planted on the best land I had available.

Regarding the planter, the only problem I had was with the fertilizer hoses
stopping up. I bought a set from Shoup. When the planter is operating there
is not much drop in the hoses and almost a horizontal run. I've been told
agri-supply carries some that are much shorter. I had to use duct tape to
stretch my hoses fairly tight. That and dropping the ground speed to give
the fertilizer time to flow worked well. I was putting out just over 400lb
acre. To get the fertilizer back operational required a couple shafts to be
made and a few new bearings as well as a sprocket. I also had to replace the
fertilizer discs and put on some new chains. I had to buy 2 fertilizer drop
tubes and 3 of the sheet metal pcs that hold them--those 5 pcs were over
$300 from IH. I engineered a set of aluminum locating blocks so the tubes
can't get into the discs up top. Too bad these planters are old or I'd make
a bunch and sell them! The shaft that drives each planter unit needed all 4
of those custom flange hex bore bearings. I searched everywhere and it
appears they are unique to IH, at over $40 each. I bought 2 sets of scrapers
from Shoup, cheaper than IH and they were carbide--I had to "adjust" them to
fit properly. Put on 2 new press wheel tires and bought 2 more gauge wheel
tires that I didn't have time to change. Of course the old ones worked fine
but if the new ones weren't here they would have finished splitting. I also
put a new chain on each row unit. I have new chains to go on the series of
step up/down sprockets but didn't have time to change them. I did install a
new chain on each drive wheel. Before next year I need to order a set of row
openers and consider replacing the bushings on the gauge wheels. Noticed the
beginnings of some stress cracks in the fertilizer hoppers that need some
attention. The cast iron arm that the closing discs connect to the back of
the row unit needed drilling out and making new bushings. I tried one
evening to get the monitor working but it appears I will need a set of
photo-eyes(sensors). Worked fine without it, haven't noticed any skipped
streaks. We did figure out after 48 years that Deere built 4020's with a
float position in the hydraulic--you have to unbolt the cowl around the
controls and move some linkages on the lever. Hard to believe that tractor
has been here that long and we never knew about or needed that feature until
now. I evicted my grain cart so as to have a shed to put the planter under.
Now I need a shed for it, guess that means I should get serious about
selling dad's thresher and binder.

John Hall