[AT] OT

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Fri May 22 08:29:06 PDT 2015

My guess:

Some systems are more sensitive to voltage variation than others.  His entry system may require a full 12v to operate (ie 11.8 won't do).   Any resistance/connector issue(check the grounds as farmer would say) could conceivably conspire to drop the voltage to the entry receiver/computer to less than 12v.    Especially if the battery is at the end of it serviceable life where resting voltage drops are common.

Charging the battery would fix it, as he is finding.  It raises the baseline voltage.  I'll bet the problem would go away with a new battery too.

But ultimately I think it's the battery.   A truck sitting for just a few days should not have a resting, baseline voltage low enough to affect electronics.   So check the battery first, connectors and grounds next.

A good test is to measure the voltage when it happens, and again after the charge and the system works.  The numbers may surprise you.

Good luck,

Spencer