[AT] Flail mowers

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Fri May 15 19:43:54 PDT 2015

In my opinion the best mower for you would be a disk mower, they cut
fast and work in almost any conditions without plugging. They also lay
out the grass nice and flat. The downside is they are quite expensive
unless you could find a used one cheaper. Also, the way you describe
things, I think a sickle bar mower would plug more than would be
acceptable. Another thing I would do if possible would be to rent, hire
or borrow the various types of machines and try them under your
conditions and see how they work. That way you wouldn't spend a lot of
money only to find out what you bought doesn't work as you want it to.
One thing that a lot of our local dealers have done; but only with used
equipment, is they will let you try it for several days on your farm. If
you like it you buy it, if you don't like it you pay so much an acre
rent (the amount of rent is agreed upon before you try the machine. If
you don't like it you are not stuck with it and the dealer makes some
money off the used machine. Several of my neighbors have went this route
and some bought the machine an a couple of others found it didn't work
as expected and said "well, this is going to be strictly a rental
machine". Also, in our county, the road commission only uses disk mowers
for roadside cutting.
    Greg Hass