[AT] Flail mowers

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Thu May 14 21:00:27 PDT 2015

I've never used a flail mower, so someone else will have to chime in on that.  But if the pastures are actively grazed most of the year so that the pastures don't get a head of you; and you don't mind doing it a few more times than you might with bush hog, I'd say finish mower since they are much easier to find used.  I bought a used 6' John Deere Frontier that stands up well to tall grass and weeds and chips everything up pretty fine.  It is a rear discharge too.  I think that really helps  in spreading the clippings evenly and preventing the mower from bogging down on its own clippings.  I do set it on the highest setting.

Another benefit is it controls weeds better.   Many weeds, like horse nettle, dies back nicely if you mow more often and never let it seed or flower.

Like you, I didn't like my bush hog and how it left things.  I also did not like how it flung objects and dinged my fence.  I sold it and went with the finish mower and never regretted it.  Looks nice when you are done too.

Your mileage may vary....

Spencer