[AT] off topic ( kind of )

Mogrits mogrits at gmail.com
Mon May 11 19:25:34 PDT 2015

As I understand it, he can use the quadcopter to survey a dam as long as
the video does not become part of the finished product he sells. In other
words, he can write what he sees in his reports/surveys but he cannot
attach the video. A smart fellow would probably just give the customer the
video for free!

The quads I own are just one step up from toys, but you can bet I use them
in my contracting business to take a look for a roof leak on a 3 story
building or to record progress on a large grading job. In the case of the
grading work, I would post those videos to my dropbox and probably share a
link to them with my customer.

I do not think the intent of the regulation was to prevent the two
described "business" uses. I think it was to create a distinction, as in
real aircraft, between a "commercial carrier" and a recreational pilot. In
other words, the FAA is saying if they are for hobbyists, then you can only
use them as a hobby.

Warren