[AT] Stepfather's collection

Recentjester at aol.com Recentjester at aol.com
Wed May 6 06:02:40 PDT 2015

Scrap is half what it was many scrap yards are  hurting

In a message dated 5/6/2015 7:48:27 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
robinson46176 at gmail.com writes:

I  finally got around to looking at the pictures just now and got so  sweaty
that I now need to go take a cold shower...
:-)
When I decided  to clean up a lot of stuff here I sold a good bit of the
better stuff on  Craigslist and Ebay. Then I worked with a scrapper on a lot
of it. I'm  pretty sure I would have done better with an auction but I was
having so  many other issues that I just was not able to deal with the
needed labor to  get ready for an auction.
Note that no tractors were harmed or sold during  that clean-up...
:-)
Oops, correction. I did sell my 4020 John Deere to  a good home when I quit
farming.

I had no idea how much "stuff" I  had tucked back in small lots and little
wooded areas etc. In just what the  scrapper hauled away there was around
40,000 pounds of iron.
I have no  idea how much weight was involved in the stuff I had already sold
before  the scrapper came but it was most of the bigger stuff that was my
main  farming stuff, chisel-plow, 4 x 16" moldboard plow, big disk and a
couple  of smaller disk, couple of 24' field cultivators, a 4 row and an 8
row  planters, row crop cultivators, and several hopper wagons and more.
I did  keep 4 or 5 smaller plows, several mowers, a couple of hopper
wagons,
several hay wagons and a half dozen wagon running gears, along with  a kind
of hybrid PTO self-unloading wagon and a couple of ear corn/hay  bale
elevators. I also kept some dirt handling stuff like three 3-point  grader
blades, a 3-point slip-scoop and a small pan-scraper type unit.  antique
stuff like buzz-saws, corn shellers, fan mills etc. also kept their  homes
along with herds of garden tractors and other garden tools.
I  wonder how much stuff I have missed here?
One foot-note... I did manage to  sell all of that scrap before scrap prices
went way up a few years  ago.
:-)

--

Francis Robinson