[AT] Mowing

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun May 3 05:52:29 PDT 2015

Farmer my dad had that discussion with me when I was in high school. I
wanted to be a grain farmer (corn, barley, wheat and soybeans). I didn't
want to mess with tobacco, which is what basically everyone here did back
then. Dad told me to start figuring it out on paper to see if I thought I
could make a go of it. Starting with nothing there was no way I could come
up with the money to make a go of it---we just don't get the yields here
that the major grain growing regions do. That’s when he told me it was all
his mother could do in the late 40's and early 50's to buy a Farmall M and
pull type Allis combine, he didn't see how I could make payments on a
$85,000 combine like his brother was.

By the way, I asked him about the lawnmower prices yesterday and he said he
paid $895 for the 110 Deere. I haven't looked online to verify what they
sold for but he did go on to say it was and would be the only new one he
bought.

John Hall