[AT] drill bits

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sat May 2 05:12:11 PDT 2015

Gary, here are some links for MSC and Travers as well:
http://www.travers.com/
http://www.mscdirect.com/

See if you can access any sale flyers online, you may find a good deal
there.

These are the more more generic drills. MSC has a listing for over 30,000
drills, it gets annoying  trying to sort through all that sometimes.
http://www.mscdirect.com/FlyerView?pagelabel=10&search=71205751&contentPath=/sales-catalogs/big-book

If you are ordering from MSC I would probably go with the Hertel brand. That’s
an old J&L line. No telling where they are made but the quality should be
reasonable based on my past experience with some of their endmills.  If
money is no object, move on up to Precision (PTD). Likewise consider drills
made with cobalt, I forgot to mention yesterday that is all I buy at work.

One other reccomendation regarding drills. Should you ever find yourself
buying any of the silver and demming style drills between 33/64 and 1 inch,
try to get them with 3 flats on the shank. Those things are notorious for
spinning in a drill chuck. Even the high dollar chucks we use don't hold
them. In the CNC equipment we hold them in a solid holder with a setscrew or
a collet chuck. Some of the manual machinists hold them in drill chucks,
much to my dislike. At least with the flats it won't spin. For the record,
most of us don't have a drill press at home adequate to run those. I
generally use my milling machine for running the larger bits.

Charlie and Dave, take a look at this link.  FWIW we use both terms at work;
Keeping it tractor related would be like saying do you have a disc, a
harrow, or a disc harrow for your tractor---all depends on where you are
from.

http://www.mscdirect.com/FlyerView?pagelabel=10&search=71205751&contentPath=/sales-catalogs/big-book

John Hall