[AT] Older John Deere tractor

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 06:22:23 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 1:19 AM, Indiana Robinson <robinson46176 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> ... What I do remember is that as they interviewed him and showed shots
> from around his farm his family owned (or owed on) stuff like 3 new
> snowmobiles and at least 2 quads. About everything they showed was new
> stuff including new trucks and I believe a new Caddy.
> I always felt that I had to justify about everything I ever bought to
> myself. Even if I needed something kind of bad if I didn't have the money
> up front I didn't buy anything. I just did what ever I had to to keep the
> old stuff going...

Yup.  I believe that we have whole generations alive now that have grown up
in a highly consumer-ist environment.  Consume, consume, consume.  Buy
STUFF.  That's how the parents lived, and possibly even the grandparents
for the younger set.  Contrast that with folks who grew up in the Great
Depression (who are getting scarce as time marches on) or folks raised by
those folks - that would be me.  My mother was born in 1919 so she became
an adolescent and then a young adult during the Great Depression, which
left a pretty big impression on her.  I never actually heard her say this,
but "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" was the way I was
raised.

Boy, could I ever use a new(er) pickup truck right about now.  Existing
truck is 18 years old and something goes south just about every time I use
it.  Most recently was the front driveshaft hitting the ground as I tried
to give the bulldozer a little tug to free up the stuck starter.  That kind
of thing.  But the money isn't there so I continue to patch it back
together.  I am renovating a house and owning a pickup is pretty mandatory.

SO