[AT] ).T. - Wanted - double thumbed corn shucker gloves&potatodigger

Ron Cook ron at lakeport-1.com
Fri Mar 20 07:28:45 PDT 2015

I must say I have never heard of anything like that used as a potato
digger.  Just would not work in these parts.  The closest thing like
that was a corn rake, but they have thin, tapered tines.
Here, we had dig potatoes with what is called a spading fork in other
parts of the country.  It is called a potato fork here.  Four thick
tines like the one that farmer references but in a spade design.  I was
under the impression that Herb has been looking for something more like
the Hoover horse drawn one-row potato digger. They used to be plentiful
but have become sort of scarce.  I have one to restore at the family
farm, so I can use that thing.  It has sat in the grove since I was a
youngster.  Last year it was pulled out to more than likely be
scrapped.  My 20 and 30 something nephews that think they own that place
are not the least interested in history, but like dollars.  Some day
they probably will own that farm, but I laid claim to the potato
digger.  I found out why we quit using it.  It has some broken castings
that I will duplicate with steel.  Hopefully digging potatoes this
fall.  No photos yet.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA