[AT] Older John Deere tractor

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 22:19:33 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:05 AM, Greg Hass <ghass at m3isp.com> wrote:

> The list comes through again with the info I needed. I would like to
> thank all who replied. At the coffee shop this morning I happened to
> mention the subject and a guy I have known for years said they had one
> when he was a kid. Could have blown me over with a feather. He said they
> had a loader on it and used it to spray with. Said they had a 3 pt.
> sprayer and it covered a whole 8 rows. I took it he was quite young and
> did not actually drive it. I would love to have one and have put it on
> my dream list, as that's all it'll ever be.  After one of the replies I
> did look up some for sale and they ranged from $6500 for a beat up one
> to over $12000 for a decent one. To many $ for me. As for the noise
> factor I go back to the wisdom of this list on Detroit Diesels: 1) You
> either love them or you hate them and 2) The most efficient means know
> to man of turning Diesel fuel into noise.
>         As for tractor pulling; I belong to the crowd who quit going
> many years ago when it changed into a professional sport. When it first
> started at our county fair, most of the tractors had been in the fields
> only a few hours earlier. People hung a few weights on them and away
> they would go. In fact a guy from south of town won 3 years in a row
> with his AC XT- 190. Soon  after all of these modified tractors showed
> up and the fun days were over where now it is a rich mans sport. A
> family a couple of miles from me has over one hundred thousand in their
> pulling tractor. Maybe the crowds like this type of pulling, but I grew
> up on the farm and have a different view off what pulling is. My view
> may be old fashioned , but I think I'll stick  with it.
>               Greg Hass

I don't mind guys putting a fortune in something like that except many
times they are the same guys that sit around whining that they can't
possibly survive without government subsidy.
A number of years ago there was a high profile farm foreclosure about 20
miles east of here that made the TV news pretty big. I forget just why it
was so newsy right now. Seems like there was a bit of a standoff of some
sort??? What I do remember is that as they interviewed him and showed shots
from around his farm his family owned (or owed on) stuff like 3 new
snowmobiles and at least 2 quads. About everything they showed was new
stuff including new trucks and I believe a new Caddy.
I always felt that I had to justify about everything I ever bought to
myself. Even if I needed something kind of bad if I didn't have the money
up front I didn't buy anything. I just did what ever I had to to keep the
old stuff going.
As I think back I think FHA had called in his loans because he had not been
paying them for some time and the whole mess just caved in...

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com